25. Identify the two men in this photo.
Answer to Egypt Quiz #25
U.S. President, Barack Obama and Zahi Hawass, Egypt’s Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs. The photo was taken on the occasion of President Obama’s visit to Cairo in June 2009. After delivering an historic speech entitled “A New Beginning” at Cairo University, Mr. Obama toured the Pyramids and Sphinx with Mr. Hawass.
Dubbed “Egypt’s Indiana Jones,” Zahi Hawass has been criticized for showboating, but his tireless promotion of Egypt’s antiquities has increased international awareness and boosted tourism revenue. Reacting to fallout from the Jan. 25 Revolution, Mr. Hawass announced his resignation this week.
- Zahi Hawass, DrHawass.com
- Zahi Hawass, Wikipedia
- Egypt’s ‘Indiana Jones’ at Center of Archaeology Uproar, LiveScience
- A New Beginning, Wikipedia
- President Obama Speaks to the Muslim World from Cairo, Egypt, YouTube
- Egyptology: Zahi Hawass confirms resignation, USA Today