11. Members of what group hold nearly ninety seats in Egypt’s lower house of parliament, although the group is not allowed to compete in elections?
Answer to Egypt Quiz #11
The Muslim Brotherhood.
The Muslim Brotherhood was officially banned in 1954, but it participates in the political process by running its candidates as independents.
In the 2005 parliamentary elections, the group grabbed 88 out of 444 seats in the People’ s Assembly (the Lower House of the Egyptian parliament) and emerged as the largest opposition bloc.
A new People’s Assembly will be elected this coming Sunday. The field of over 5000 candidates reportedly includes 160 members of the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Muslim Brotherhood, Wikipedia
- Muslim Brotherhood, DiscoverTheNetworks.org
- IkhanWeb, Muslim Brotherhood official English site
- Will Politics Tame Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood?, New York Times
- Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt’s Parliamentary Elections, Council on Foreign Relations